Friday, January 6, 2017

Friday Fiction Fix: "Cloak of the Light"

The Short:


Cloak of the Light
Wars of the Realm, Book 1

By: Chuck Black

4/5 Stars

What: A college student suffers a terrible accident that allows him to see into another dimension.

Recommended to those who like: Spiritual warfare, Christian, Teen

The Long:

I’ve been a fan of Chuck Black for quite a while. His Kingdom Series and The Knights of Arrethtrae strongly influenced both my faith and early attempts at writing. When I saw that he had a new series out that was more geared toward my age group, I was elated.

Drew’s life has been chased by tragedy. Those close to him keep dying and just when he thinks things are looking up, his life gets turned upside down again. Little does he know that defending a fellow student against a bully in high school will earn him a friend for life, or that helping him will lead to a freak physics accident that will rob him of his sight.

When Drew returns to normal life, he finds that he can see into another dimension, one with strange invaders that battle each other for the visible realm. Are these the aliens his friend expected? Or are they something else entirely?

At first, I really thought I wasn’t going to like this book. The first fifty pages or so were a bit of a drag. However, once the book really got going, I fell in love with Drew as a character.

Unfortunately, the love interest in the story did not do much for me. (Surprise there!) I really found her quite obnoxious and was a little irritated by how she was chosen to be the spiritual light of the story. For the most part, the Christian aspect of the story was well-played, but it was nearly cringe-worthy at points.

The action scenes and thoughtfulness of the spiritual warfare aspect redeemed the book overall. The realism of spiritual warfare was more thought-provoking than the Bible Study we’re dropped into at one point. The book almost has a dark super-hero feel to it, without being cheesy.

Furthermore, Drew is a great character. I look forward to seeing him developed more fully in future books.

I’ll definitely be picking up the next book sometime soon. The end of this story foreshadowed great things to come.

The Bottom Line: If you don’t mind a stronger Christian message and a slow-starting story, this spiritual warfare novel with super-hero undertones is worth a look. 

Looking for allegorical fantasy by Chuck Black? Check out my reviews of The Kingdom Series here and here.                                                

Who's your favorite superhero?

2 comments:

  1. Oooh this looks good (but probably just because it has that superhero element to it. I'm such as sucker for that). Thanks for another great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not directly a superhero element, but it reminds me of that feel. (More of like an "Arrow" or "Batman" feel than, say, "Thor" or the Avengers. It's a bit darker). I mean, normal young man entrusted with strange powers sets off to save the world with science, martial arts, and his new abilities.

      If you're looking for something a bit more lighthearted and more traditionally superhero-y, I would definitely point you more toward "Failstate" by John W. Otte, which I reviewed a while back.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!