Friday, January 5, 2018

Sequel Review: "Heirs of Tirragyl"

As with all sequel reviews, I have attempted to keep this review spoiler-free. However, I would recommend picking up and reading Chains of Gwyndorr prior to reading this book. 

The Short

Heirs of Tirragyl
Poison Tree Path Chronicles, Book 2

By: Joan Campbell

4.5/5 Stars

What: Shara's on the run, but she faces a choice about where--and with whom--she will place her trust.

The Long

I was really looking forward to this sequel, and it didn't disappoint. Shara is really growing on me as a character, and I think we need more like her in Christian fiction. She wants to do the right thing, but she frequently trips herself up. It's a freshness much need in a genre that tends to be clogged with paper cut-outs who are too perfect to be true. 

Similarly, many of the characters we're introduced to in this book are just as well crafted. I love reading about their motives behind what they do and what makes them conflicted in their actions. Nyla, The Raven, and Elxa were engaging characters for me to read about. 

I really enjoyed the plot of this book and how it switched between the multiple story lines. It was always hard to tear myself away from the pages and I was almost always eager to return. 

The Christian element in this book was slightly more pronounced in this book, but it avoided hitting you over the head with a sledgehammer or becoming preachy. I look forward to how that plot element will continue to develop in the final installment.

This book does contain some themes that are more suitable to teens and up (visiting bars with scantily clad women to find leads on other characters, trained assassins who have interesting views on morals, etc.). However, the writing style is very straightforward--perhaps a little too much at times. (Okay, so I've been on a Tolkien streak lately with my reading and it's spoiled me). 

The Bottom Line: An engaging fantasy with excellent characters and Christian undertones, I'd recommend Heirs of Tirragyl to fantasy fans who are looking for plot and characters over flowery prose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!