Friday, April 29, 2016

Sequel Review: "The Heir War"

As the exam crunch hits full swing this weekend, I felt in the mood for something a little bit darker. If you haven't already, check out my review of Darkness Reigns, which is the first installment in this series. I've tried to keep this review spoiler-free, but no guarantees. 

The Short:

The Heir War
The Kinsman Chronicles, 1.2

By: Jill Williamson

4/5 Stars

What: A plot seems to be afoot to place Janek on the throne—but who is behind the trail of bodies?

Recommended to those who like: Darker books, loosely Christian, fantasy, and have read part 1. 

The Long:

If you’re just hopping into this series, I would highly recommend reading my first review here. It will help explain things further.

I know I said that I was going to be patient and wait for the entire print book to come out, but I couldn’t help myself. I might do that with the next book around, but we’ll see how patient I am.

Just as in Darkness Reigns, The Heir War contains a lot of mature subject matter and dark content. Demons, sorcery, murder, and promiscuity are all part of the story. Granted, the point of the story right now is that, when these things exist, the world is not a happy place and judgment is coming.

I can finally see where the story is going now, which is a definite bonus. I’m starting to get drawn into the different layers and piece the puzzle together. There are a lot of characters in this novel, so it’s certainly not for the faint of heart when it comes to keeping track of the various characters.

I definitely plan on reading the next installment. I think the story will come together by that point and I’ll really be able to enjoy the story. However, I do look forward to seeing some more redemptive themes as the story progresses—it’s been very dark up to this point.

What's your favorite "dark" book that has a redeeming message? 

Please note that I will likely be slow to respond to comments for the next several days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!