Friday, August 18, 2017

Friday Fiction Fix: "Out of the Silent Planet"

I'm back! Thanks for your patience as I was away. Normal posting will resume this upcoming week, with a miscellaneous post on Tuesdays and a book review on Fridays. 


The Short:

Out of the Silent Planet
Space Trilogy #1

By: C.S. Lewis

4.5/5 Stars

What: Interplanetary kidnapping leads a professor to question his knowledge of the universe.

Recommended to those who like: Sci-fi, contemplative reads, Christian

The Long:

One of my English teachers in high school recommended the space trilogy to me. I read the first book and then never finished the rest of the series due to getting hooked on Ted Dekker later in the summer. Now I’ve returned to the series with the intention of finishing it sooner rather than later. Now a few years older, I was able to appreciate the book considerably more than I had been able to in high school.

Ransom is a professor on holiday, taking a tour of the British countryside. However, a series of events leads to his kidnapping, not just across the world, but between worlds. He must come to grips with his own mortality, the reality of life outside of earth, and the possibility that there is something even bigger than himself afoot in the universe.

The book is very contemplative in nature—a true English teacher book recommendation. It doesn’t have much action, and much of the plot is spent in dialogue or explanation of the planet. However, it’s still an engaging read if you’re in the right mood for it.

In some respects, it’s closer to The Screwtape Letters than The Chronicles of Narnia, but it’s still set up as a novel. It does have a strong Christian slant on it, though I wouldn’t consider it to be “preachy”.


The Bottom Line: A contemplative read recommended to fans of slower-paced Christian sci-fi. 

7 comments:

  1. I've always considered picking this up, but just haven't yet. It sounds really good though. Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different style of read--it reads much more like a classic than most contemporary books. If you ever get around to it, let me know what you think! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I think I read this in high school. I didn't appreciate it very much then, but I might appreciate it more now (especially since I'm on a space kick right now). Thanks for the thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a book designed for an older audience and it isn't heavy on action. I think I appreciated it a lot more this time around. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I'm currently reading C.S. Lewis' Surprised by Joy, and I've been contemplating trying some of his sci-fi next. You've definitely made Out of the Silent Planet sound like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it doesn't disappoint you if you ever get around to it!

      Surprised by Joy was the first non-Narnia Lewis book that I read. I've actually been meaning to get around to re-reading it. If you haven't read it already, I would also recommend The Screwtape Letters. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. The Screwtape Letters is also on my to-read list. :)

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!