Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Pictures from Wittenburg

As we wrap our celebration of the 500th anniversary of the reformation, I thought that I would share a few pictures from Wittenburg, Germany that I took on my trip over the summer. Hope you enjoy!


Downtown Wittenburg. If you're looking for Luther gifts, you can find it here.

A monument to Luther, about halfway between the two churches he's come to be associated with.

The Theses doors. All 95 theses are printed on them. The original wooden doors were lost.

The Schlosskirche (castle church) where Luther nailed the Theses. The top of the tower has the opening lines to "Ein Feste Burg" (A Mighty Fortress is Our God).

The Stadtkirche (city church) where Luther preached regularly.

Inside of the Stadtkirche.

Luther's House, which is now a museum.

The altar piece in the Schlosskirche. 

The stained glass at the front of the Schlosskirche. For perspective, this is above the altarpiece shown in the picture before. Aside from being beautiful, it was a powerful reminder that, at the end of the day, Jesus is above all else--even famous, snarky theologians. 

6 comments:

  1. WOW! How I envy you the chance to go see Wittenberg for yourself. I'd love to go there one day. Thanks so much for sharing these pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really awesome. I went with my church as part of a student exchange. My dad also went and, since he's not a student, followed a bit of a different program while there. I was super jealous because he got to see Wartburg Castle (where Luther translated the New Testament), but I didn't.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. How cool that your church participated in that! When my kids are older, I'll have to see if we can't do something similar.

      Delete
    3. The church we exchanged with was really open to having us come and were quite welcoming. If you have a contact somewhere in Germany through your congregation, I'm sure it could work out well. (A gentleman in our congregation is German-American and he arranged it with his home church). Even if it doesn't, the majority of young to middle-aged people in Germany speak English, so it wasn't terribly difficult to get around.

      Delete
  2. HOLY SMOKES THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!! It looks like you had amazing time, thank you so much for sharing these beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cool! Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!