Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Hound Dog Harmonies: "Flood"

The Short

Song: Flood

Artist: Jars of Clay

Genre: Pop/Soft Rock

Listening Suggestion: While on your way to do something stressful.

Selected Lyrics


Rain rain on my face
It hasn't stopped
Raining for days
My world is a flood
Slowly I become
One with the mud


But if I can't swim after 40 days
And my mind is crushed
By the crashing waves
Lift me up so high
That I cannot fall
Lift me up
Lift me up when I'm falling
Lift me up I'm weak and I'm dying
Lift me up I need you to hold me
Lift me up and keep me from drowning again

You can find the music video at YouTube. Please pardon the 90's/ early 2000's feel. 

The Long

This is one of my favorite songs for when I'm having a rough day. It's perfect for the days when you feel like you've got nothing left. With the water imagery and the reference to 40 days, it calls to mind the story of Noah (or of Jesus in the wilderness) and the times God has saved his people in the past. 

The song also has a beautiful cello/strings section in the middle of it that accompanies the lyrics quite well. It's pretty suitable for most musical tastes (unlike some other songs I've featured). While it's not particularly heavy hitting theologically, it can be a nice pick me up on a hard day. 

What's your favorite song when you're having a bad day?

2 comments:

  1. I've never really listened to Jars of Clay before, I'll have to give them a listen. My absolute favourite album for when I'm feeling down is Ocean Eyes by Owl City (or really any album by him). Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like some of Owl City's music as well. I can't comment too much on the rest of Jars of Clay's work, but I know they have some other popular songs. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!