Friday, September 28, 2018

The 2018 Tolkien Tag

It's Tolkien Week again! To celebrate, I'll be filling out the blog tag from Hamlette over at Edge of the Precipice. (And don't run too far--I've actually got a book review lined up for next Friday!)


1.  What's your favorite Middle-earth story/book?
This one depends entirely on my mood. Ready for something lighthearted? The Hobbit. On a drive or somewhere where I need to gnaw on something for a few hours? The Silmarillion. Feeling dark and upset at the world? The children of Hurin. 

In short, there's a Tolkien for just about every one of my moods.


2.  Do you have a favorite subplot?
I don't know if it counts as a subplot or a book since it came out as its own story, but Of Beren and Luthien out of The Silmarillion is definitely my favorite.
3.  What's your favorite theme in Tolkien's books?  (Can be in one specific story, or overall.)

I really like the idea that history is made up of individual people who do great things (or even seemingly simple things that end up being monumental). It gives me hope for  doing the little things in life.


4.  Do you have a favorite weapon from Middle-earth?
Probably Anduril--it's hard to beat its history. I really wish there were more named bows from Middle-earth, however. 


5.  Would you like to be a hobbit?
Let's see, I like to eat, farming doesn't sound too bad, I'm happy to have a simple life, and I don't mind going barefoot, so...sure!

6.  Do you have a favorite romance/couple?
That's a nearly impossible pick between Beren and Luthien or Faramir and Eowyn. I don't like romance as a general rule, but Tolkien writes dang good romance. 

7.  What's your favorite Middle-earth creature?  (Can be "real" or "imaginary.")
Oliphants! Mostly because Samwise likes them so much.

8.  What character do you look the most like?
Ooh, I don't know that I look much like any character since I cut my hair. We'll go with some hobbit--my love of food shows a little bit.

9.  Are there any books about Middle-earth or Professor Tolkien (but not written by him) you recommend?
I have not actually read any books about either the author or the place, unless you count the works edited by Christopher Tolkien. It's a deficit that I'll have to make up sometime.

10.  List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotations from the Middle-earth books and/or movies.
Alrighty, here we go again! As always, I've tried to avoid duplicating my answers from previous years:

-"What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" (Gandalf)

-"In one thing you have not changed, dear friend," said Aragorn: "you still speak in riddles."
"What? In riddles?" said Gandalf. "No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying." 


-"Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!" (Eowyn as Dernhelm)

-"Fool of a Took!" he growled. "This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance." (Gandalf)

-"What course am I to take?"/ "Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight." 

I hope you enjoyed my answers. Be sure to check out the rest of the festivities going on over at The Edge of the Precipice this week and be sure to stop back in here next week for a sci-fi book review!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, how come only the swords get names, for the most part?

    Great choice of lines! Thanks for joining the party. Do you want to add your link to the list on my main post, or want me to add it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy to add it! Just got off work and wanted it to be live before I added to the link.

      Thanks for creating the tag! I don't think I'll ever tire of Tolkien quotes.

      Delete
  2. Great answers! Beren & Luthien are also one of my favorites. Of course, I really like Faramir & Eowyn as well.

    At least one bow has a name: Beleg's bow, which is Belthronding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sadly, it's not the easiest to pronounce, but it definitely shouldn't be neglected. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!