Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Hound Dog Harmonies: "Sirens"

Song: "Sirens"

Artist: The Gray Havens

Genre: Folk/Pop

Selected Lyrics:

One taste of the sound
From the sirens in the water
And I'm thinking I should get out
The sharpest sword and suit of armor
So I can be ready to strike
But I pause, one more time
One last taste of the sound
Then I'll cut these sirens down
But as they sang, I forgot
They were death, so I brought them my heart
To be filled, and I followed them...

Hold on, my heart
You once were full and sang of grace...
You've tasted joy that's more than this


Discussion:

I've been on a Gray Havens kick lately. Their more laid back sound and thoughtful lyrics have been just what my heart has needed after a couple of crazy weeks.

This song in particular has become one of my favorites over the past few years as I've been listening to the group. The daily struggle against sin is something that ways heavily on my mind and heart from time to time and this song gives me words to voice how it feels when I'm struggling against something in particular. (And when I feel terrible about falling again and again, I follow this one up with "Storehouse"). The imagery of the sirens coming up and arming yourself to defeat them, only to stop mid-stroke to listen one last time always gives me pause.

I just discovered the music video for the song, but you can also find it on Spotify or your other favorite music outlets.

What's your favorite song when you're struggling with temptation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!