Saturday, September 28, 2019

Movie Review: "Tolkien" (2019)

Well, here's to wrapping up the 2019 Tolkien Blog Party hosted by The Edge of the Precipice. Many thanks to Hamlette for hosting such a wonderful party again this year!


4/5 Stars

I had originally intended to see this movie in theaters, but I couldn't find anyone with whom to go, so I decided to wait to watch it until it came out for rental. I can honestly say that I felt I didn't lose much by waiting; while the movie was enjoyable and even touching, it wasn't something that I felt I needed to see on the big screen. 

Tolkien focuses on the author's early life from the time his family moved from Africa back to England up through the start of WWI. While I was initially disappointed by the fact that we didn't get to meet the Inklings (including C.S. Lewis), the scope of the film was appropriate for the run time. 

Like all biopics, the film does take some liberties, at least according to critics that I could find. (I haven't done extensive reading on his life, so I had to take the word of some people on the internet). Mostly, it seems they added a few scenes for dramatic effect and shuffled a couple points around in the timeline. Overall, though, it seems the film did a good job sticking to the general facts of his life. 

The movie does lots of flashing back and forth between Tolkien's time as a soldier in the trenches and his earlier life and childhood. I'm not overly fond of this sort of format, but it worked well in this instance, serving to build tension throughout. 

The film mostly focuses on Tolkien's physical life, rather than his imaginative works. However, for those familiar with his writing, you can see how life events might have shaped the legends of Middle-Earth. (Ex. Edith dancing in the woods as inspiration for Luthien). Unfortunately, the film sidelines his Catholic faith and its role in shaping his stories, choosing to spend much more time on the friendship he forms with his classmates and his courtship of his future wife. I don't think it was necessarily a bad choice; nevertheless, it was mildly disappointing. 

I would recommend this movie as an enjoyable way to pass the time to anyone who has a mild to moderate interest in Tolkien's life or works, though someone who has an extremely deep interest may want to seek out a more traditional biography.


2 comments:

  1. I wanted to see this in theaters but never had the chance! While I'm sad to hear that they didn't include C. S. Lewis (as he is one of my favorite authors) and that they put his Catholic faith to the side, it sounds very good besides that! Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since he met Lewis later and life and this film focused on his early years, I didn't feel too bad missing out on Lewis. Glad you enjoyed. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!