Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Food for Thought: Fairy Tales

I'm currently swamped with trying to wrap-up summer activities while also moving and starting back to school, so pardon me if there are more short posts than normal. I'd still love to hear from you and interact with  you down in the comments!

Someone close to me once remarked, "I didn't realize that you read so much fiction."

I've mulled over those words for quite some time now. I'm still not sure how to take them.

Source
I certainly think there's value in non-fiction. History is an underrated subject in our American culture, in my opinion. We can learn a lot from history and real-life people. Science books and other educational resources are necessary for life as we know it. I'd like to read more of those books.

But sometimes I think that we devalue good stories for the mere fact that they're fictional. Sometimes it's easier for me to learn lessons when it's in a different setting. Sometimes "Fairy tales" teach me things that I fail to learn from other books. They inspire me in ways real-life struggles to do so.

Perhaps I'm strange. But, if you've found this blog, you might also be in the same strange category.

So, here's to fairy tales, sci-fi, and all those other wonderful genres that inspire us in a completely made-up world.

Why do you think fictional stories are important?

4 comments:

  1. YES. Fiction is so important! (Obviously non-fiction is so important as well for all those reasons you pointed out.) But fiction helps to sustain me. It teaches hope and love and how to put your head down and do what needs to be done and sacrifice and joining something bigger than yourself to do something great, because "we are all superheros, not one of us alone but all of us together" (roughly Hank Green). Fiction inspires and teaches us to dream and helps us sleep at night or keeps us up and shows us that it's not over until we say it's over. The world would not be the same without fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head in a much more eloquent fashion than I did! Thanks for the comment!

      (And I'm sure you're thinking of Spider-man with the superheroes).

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. This may be a short post, but it's chock-full of goodness! I agree 1000%. I enjoy a good nonfiction book now and again, but most of my reading is done right before bed, as a way to unwind, and fiction is the best medium for that.

    Serena
    poetree {blog} | editing services

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE reading right before bed. It's when I do most of my reading, too!

      Thanks for the encouragement and the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!