Thursday, March 28, 2019

Avenger's Blog Tag

As we all await the Avengers: Endgame movie, I thought it would be fun to fill out this tag I stole from The Mad Dragon Hatter. Hope you enjoy! Feel free to steal.


Iron Man
A book that made you laugh

The Pig Scrolls by Paul Shipton
Fourth grade humor (think underwear jokes) mixed with Greek Mythology and dry wit makes this one a fun read that you have to be in just the right mood to enjoy. Maybe my sense of humor is weird, but I about laugh my socks off every time I read it.

Thor
A character with strength you admire

Aragorn, from The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
I had a serious debate between Samwise and Aragorn on this one, but I think more ink has been spilled lauding Sam on this case. Aragorn might not be the character you pick for moral fortitude, but he shows remarkable moral strength. He refuses the Ring as a mortal man and refuses to give into temptation. Seeing as hobbits seem to be somewhat naturally immune, I think this is more noteworthy than most people would give him credit. He also is never depicted as whining about his lot in life, even though he faces a hard uphill battle to reclaim what's rightfully his, and his prospective father in law is rather demanding.

Captain America
A book set in another era.

The Book Thief  by Markus Zusak
This didn't fall under my fantasy/sci-fi theme on this blog, or else I would have reviewed it here (and perhaps I still will). I truly enjoyed it. Nazi Germany has been the setting of many, many novels, but I felt this one gave me a fresh take on it. This was the first historical fiction novel I had enjoyed for some time, so it was a nice change of pace.

Hulk
A book that made you angry

The Gladiator and the Guard, by Annie Douglass Lima
First, let me say I love this book. It wasn't the book that made me angry, but rather one of the characters who I had come to love in the previous novel. He just...regressed...so much. And it nearly cost the protagonist his life. I wanted to reach into my ereader and physically shake some sense into him. So, well written. Go read the series, or my review of book 1 if you want more info.

Hawkeye
An underrated book

C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy
I don't know if this is just an unknown series or if it's truly underrated. I was very surprised to find that I had scrolled through the entirety of my Goodreads list and not found a book that jumped out at me for this one. Anyway, if you like 20th century sci-fi or just C.S. Lewis' thought processes, go check this lesser-known trilogy. (And don't dislike Hawkeye. He's a cool dude because archery.) An alternate answer would be The Silmarillion, but I already picked one Tolkien item for the list.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch
Sibling Love

Meg and Charles Wallace Murray from A Wrinkle in Time. 
I don't have any siblings, so I've lived vicariously through books. I have to say that I found Meg and Charles to be quite charming. They disagree and fight from time to time, but they genuinely love each other without being creepily/unnaturally well adapted.

Antman
A book you want to read but can't

The War of Swords by D. Barkley Briggs
I have searched everywhere for this. Legends of Karac Tor is one of my favorite series, but it's gotten kicked around from publisher to publisher and very few copies of the final book were printed. Even Amazon doesn't have it. I finally managed to scrounge up a digital copy for NOOK, but I can't get the ereader app to work. *Headdesk*

Loki
An antagonist you like

Murtagh, from Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle
Honestly, I don't know how I haven't thought this before, but Murtagh's one of my favorite antagonists. He's one of those "between a rock and a hard place" antagonists who was forced to be a bad guy. However, he also displays how adopting the attitude that you were forced to be the bad guy can turn you into one at heart, though he redeems himself in the end--or perhaps all along. One wonders what his life would have been like if he hadn't been betrayed.

Who's your favorite Avenger? Do you have a burning answer to any of the tag questions?

7 comments:

  1. What a cool idea for a tag! My favourite Avenger...that's a hard one. Gotta love a classic though, so I'll say Iron Man. I might steal this tag for myself, if that's alright, 'cause it looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I look forward to reading your answers! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Oo, Aragorn is such a good choice. He really does have many different admirable qualities. And you're right. So many people overlook his reaction to the Ring. I also like that even though he's a loner and a to-himself sort of person, it seems like he still manages to make friends and connections everywhere he goes. That's a hard thing for a introvert to do.

    Love The Book Thief! The storytelling was so unique. And I've heard of C S Lewis' Space Trilogy, but I've not read it yet? It sounds like it's definitely worth trying. I'll have to remember it!

    Wow, trying to find your favorite series sounds really frustrating. :/ Hopefully, you'll find a way to read it soon. That's awful.

    Love your post! So glad you stole the tag! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for putting the tag out into the universe!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for letting me steal this! (Not that I asked permission to steal it... anyways.) It's a fun tag :) Also, I absolutely love The Book Thief and really need to read more books by him.

    I also really admire the strength of Aragorn. He's the king that Middle Earth deserves, and I think that a lot of the reason why he's worthy of being king is because he initially doesn't want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gauaauagh! Aragorn! Book Thief! Murtagh! Meg and Charles! Space Trilogy! I've never seen a blogger reference so many of my personal favorites in ONE BLOG POST. Dannng girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it enjoyable! Sorry for the long wait time on the response. Welcome to the blog and thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!