Tuesday, March 19, 2019

What I've Been Reading

I promise I haven't entirely neglected the blog..there's about a half dozen articles and reviews typed out on my computer that I keep stalling on because I can't find the way to say what I actually want to say, if that makes sense. In the meantime, I'm going to follow some advice I heard a while back: if something's worth doing 100%, sometimes it's better to do it 80% than 0% if you can't quite muster full strength. So, here's my 80% post with some thoughts on my recent reads:

Children of the Blood Moon Trilogy

I just finished off this trilogy that I started reading over a year ago. It's an interesting Christian fantasy trilogy that, even if a little heavy handed on prophecies and special powers at times, is worth the read. S.D. Grimm manages to weave a tale that's well balanced with regard to action, character development, and a bit of romance. I look forward to reading more of her books in the future as her writing style continues to develop. Overall, I'd give the trilogy 4/5 stars. (Review of Book 1).

1984

This dystopian classic has been on my radar for a while now; it wasn't exactly on my personal reading list because I wanted to read it (I knew it was depressing), but because I feel it's one of those books that you should read if you claim to be a reader. While I don't think it's something I'll be inclined to re-read anytime soon, I'm glad I did finally pick it up. The story was less horrifying for its ending than its startling parallels to the 21st century--the best way to keep people missing holes in their logic is to keep them shouting about something. Stir up enough emotion and you can have them change which enemy they're facing and completely ignore objective truth. Not a light read, nor for those looking for a clean book, but nevertheless worthwhile to chew on for a bit. 

Rome: A History in Seven Sackings

This was a pure impulse buy; whenever I travel somewhere and find a local bookstore, I feel it's my bookish duty to support them. It's another volume that I won't be rereading for a while, but intriguing in its own right. If you have a general interest in history or in Rome in particular, the author's description of Rome's architecture and culture through the centuries through the lens of seven invasions was captivating enough to get me through the whole volume. 

Kiss of Deception 

My family generally tries to pick me up a new series every Christmas; this was one such book and may eventually make a full appearance on the blog. Although a little heavy-handed on the romance, it was an enjoyable read and I plan on continuing in the series. 


Upcoming

I'm looking forward to reading the very-long awaited Forsaken Continent by Wayne Thomas Batson. This third installment of the Myridian Constellation (formerly the Dark Sea Annals) is slated to arrive at my door in paperback on my birthday this week, which is pretty much the best bookish present I could ask for. 

As far as other long-expected books go, I'm working up the courage to open my copy of The Fall of Gondolin. It's the last Tolkien book to be released--probably ever--so it'll take the perfect day to read it. However, I'll probably tackle it just in time for the Tolkien biography movie set to be released in May. 

6 comments:

  1. I do feel like I should read 1984 at some point... but I don't wanna. Animal Farm was depressing enough :-b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think you have to just be in the mood for a depressing book when you go for it. I haven't read Animal Farm yet, but I'll probably need a month or so of happier reading before I decide to tackle it. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I've been pretty silent online since August, so you're doing pretty good by comparison. :) And I totally understand not knowing how to say what you want to say - that happens to me allll the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back through my posts, I realize I haven't posted consistently since summer 2017, which is truly depressing. I guess life changes. Good to have you back!

      Delete
  3. Okay, I have many thoughts about 1984. It was super interesting, although I'm not 100% sure that I'll reread it. I like the concept because I think it's a realistic look at a possible future. (I did have issues with the logistics of someone keeping an eye on everyone at the same time, but I digress.) However, I think A Brave New World is a more likely outcome? I'm not sure if you've read it but instead of the all-controlling, forever-watching world of 1984 we're more likely to experience the over-indulgence, have-anything-you-want-but-your-ability-to-think-for-yourself world of A Brave New World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave new world is also on my reading list! I just needed a solid break from dystopian fiction and then I found myself snowed under with a huge list of things I wanted to re-read. I've heard from many people that Brave New World seems the more likely of the two, so I saved it for my second read. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!