Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Seven Questions Book Tag

I stole this from Anna over at Bookends and Bwopper-Eels. I've had the tag itch for some time and this proved to be a satisfying fulfillment. 

Do you prefer a male or female main character? 

I would say I generally prefer male main characters, surprisingly. It depends on the context. I just find that there are more male main characters that I find to be believable or enjoyable to spend time with. Further, male main characters tend to do more interesting things without having to be blatantly obvious about being different in doing so. (Like, no male MC is claiming to be different because he shoots archery. He just goes and does it and is cool about it, but the girls have to go on a rampage about how they're different). But if I truly sat down and cataloged my favorite characters, I think I would find it a more even split. I also enjoy a lot of stories that involve ensembles of characters, making it even more difficult to determine if it's really a male or female lead.

Do you prefer colorful, attention grabbing covers or simple, understated ones? 

I have to say, I have some favorites in both categories. For example, I think I've waxed eloquent about the Firebird Trilogy covers and the Dreamtreaders cover, which are very colorful and attention grabbing. I especially like the layering of the colors in both series. However, I recently read Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake and found its more minimalist design pleasing and well-suited to the story.

A character you'd like to have as your boss at work?

Ooh, this is tough. I have  to decide who I would like to have bossing me around and who also has a deep appreciation for animals, but can also keep their head screwed on straight while under pressure. I feel like Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars might honestly make a good veterinary supervisor. His dry wit would certainly be welcome.

Books-a-Million or Barnes and Noble?

I love BAM, even though I don't frequent the one near me all that often. I find they tend to have a slightly better Christian book selection than B&N, so I'd say they're my favorite between those two. In reality, my favorite bookstores are a local chain called Schuler's that sells new and used volumes and Baker Book House, which is a Christian fiction outlet (they always have great deals and somehow manage to always spend 50 or more dollars). I look forward to being able to frequent bookstores again.

What age range of characters do you prefer to read about?

I still read a lot of teen and middle-grade fiction (teens to early twenties). I wish there were more clean books about people in their 20s and 30s. Maybe I'll set out to remedy that.

What would you tell someone who defiantly proclaims, "I don't like reading! Why should I?"

My first question would be if they had read anything outside of assigned school reading. I would then ask them what TV or movies they liked and hand them a stack of books that they might enjoy. I find that a lot of people who have grown unaccustomed to reading enjoy listening to audiobooks more than reading directly, so I might suggest that to them as well.

Thanks for letting me steal, Anna! Feel free to hop on board and join in the fun!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, thanks for stealing the tag, RM! :D

    I definitely agree with you about Obi-Wan...he would be a fantastic boss. Also, I have heard about Baker Book House many times--I live only a few hours away from Grand Rapids, so I should probably go check it out sometime...hmm...

    Nice post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth the trip, if you're in the area! I usually spend 1-2 hours there when I go, and you get a coupon for a coffee from their cafe if you purchase books. I usually shop, grab a coffee, and then read for a little bit before heading home. There's also a lot to do in GR and places to eat, so it would be easy to make a day trip. There's also a Schuler's about 2 blocks down from Baker, so you can have a total book pilgrimage if you want.

      Thanks for the comment and the tag!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!