Friday, June 19, 2015

Friday Fiction Fix: "Resistance"

The Short:


Resistance
(Ilyon Chronicles, Book 1)

By:
Jaye L. Knight

5/5 stars

What: A “half breed” man struggles over if he has a soul while a young woman fights to maintain her faith in the den of the enemy.

Recommended to those who like: stories with internal conflict, fantasy, Christian allegory, a good sword fight, and interesting world building.

The long:

I found this book perusing through the Christian Fantasy/Sci Fi catalog on Amazon and needed a book to read, so I figured I’d give it a try.

I’ll admit, I was a little reluctant to try it. I’m still new to walking off the beaten path to find Christian speculative fiction. Some of the books have flopped epically for me. But Resistance did not disappoint!

The thing that really struck me about the book was the amount of internal conflict within it. Jace is genuine in his struggle against his own internal flaws, doubts, and fears. Everyone tells him that he cannot have a soul, for he is a mixed-race man. He’s one of the more realistic characters that I’ve read in Christian fiction recently.

Kyrin is also lovable. As somewhat of a tomboy and independent young woman myself, I found it easy to associate with her. She fights to maintain her faith, even though it may cost her life as an assistant to the Emperor. She also struggles with how to witness to others, as well as how to reconcile what she’s heard about others to what is reality.

The action sequences were well-paced and logical in this fantasy novel. The overall pace of the book was better than many. It was predictable at times, but not overly so.


If you’ve read the book, feel free to share your thoughts/opinions below. Please remember to be respectful of Ms. Knight and her work, as well as other commentators. I also welcome comments on what you would like to see included in the review format. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!