Friday, June 26, 2015

Friday Fiction Fix: "Swords of the Six"

The Short:

Swords of the Six
(The Sword of the Dragon, Book 1)

By: Scott Appleton

4/5 Stars

What: A dragon brings six human daughters into the world and tasks them with bringing justice to his six warriors who betrayed him thousands of years before.

Recommended to those who like: Dragons, fantasy

Not recommended for those who dislike: Slower, more narrative plot

The Long:

I’ve long been a fan of any story involving dragons, so I picked this one up at a book fair a while back.
                
The storyline is original and not very predictable, which was a big bonus. Throughout the book, we follow the white dragon and his six human daughters. Dantress, the youngest, is chief among them. 

The dragon was betrayed long ago by five of his six chief warriors ages before. He tasks his daughters with bringing those still alive to justice, as well as to become warriors that will eventually bring justice and peace to the world.
                
I think I would have liked the story more if I had liked the characters more. I really wanted to like Dantress, but it took me some time to become invested in her to the point where I cared about her as a character. The story was strong on plot, but not always as strong on character development, in my opinion. So, if deep character building is a “must” for you to enjoy a story, this might not be the book for you. If you like plot and interesting world building, you will likely enjoy the book.
                
The story has many Christian themes, but these do not overwhelm the story. There is also a minor love element that is worked nicely into the story.
                
I believe Mr. Appleton did a good job with the narrative aspects of this work. Seeing as this is considered a “prequel” to the rest of the series, I’m hoping that the books will continue to improve. I think if we get some more well-rounded characters, the stories will make for gripping reads. 


If you’ve read the book, feel free to share your thoughts below. Please remember to be respectful of Mr. Appleton and his work, as well as other commentators. I also welcome comments on what you would like to see included in the reviews. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!