Friday, February 19, 2016

Friday Fiction Fix: "One Realm Beyond"

The Short:

One Realm Beyond
Realm Walkers, Book 1

By: Donita K. Paul

4/5 Stars

What: A young man finally achieves his dream of being able to travel between the planes, but nothing seems to go as planned.

Recommended to those who like: Teen/Middle Grade, Christian, Fantasy, Dragons, Humor

The Long:

Every year, my family indulges my book addiction at Christmastime and provides me with enough reading material to keep me occupied for a few months. My mom has gotten pretty good at picking out books I like, and this one is no exception. 

Cantor has been training to be a Realm Walker his whole life. Just as much as he wants to protect the realms, he thirsts for adventure. But his adventure turns out nothing like he thought it would—a bumbling dragon, a corrupt ruling council, and a strange girl with mysterious powers turn his dream on its head.

Fans of the Dragonspell series will likely enjoy this book quite a bit. The tone is the same, the vocabulary is extensive, and the recipe for a lighthearted read is completed with a nice dash of humor.

The book gets off to a bit of a slow start and I thought the ending felt a bit rushed, but I enjoyed it otherwise. Ms. Paul always brings a nice sense of humor to her work, combined with some more serious spiritual themes.


Any thoughts? Have you read anything by this author? 

4 comments:

  1. I love Donita K. Paul's books! One Realm Beyond was such a fun read, though I agree that the ending seemed rushed (and a bit confusing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little bit surprised by the execution of the ending. She normally closes her books excellently. However, it won't stop me from reading the next book!

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I've never heard of this one, but it does sound interesting. I love the concept.

    Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you enjoyed One Realm Beyond. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's relatively new--it only came out 2 years ago. Also, it's more of a book for younger readers (Amazon has it listed as grades 4-7). Her "Dragonspell" series is much more famous. However, unlike many of the books I review, you can probably find it at a brick-and-mortar store, especially if it's a Christian book store.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!