Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The 2017 Tolkien Tag


I finally remembered to post on timefor the Tolkien Blog Party this year! This is an annual event hosted by Hamlette over at "The Edge of the Precipice". She does many read-a-longs, book reviews, and other fun events. I'd definitely encourage you to check her blog out!


How long have you been a Tolkien fan?

Probably since I was around 10 or so. I watched the movies and fell in love with the wit, archery, and swordplay in them. I then found a copy of The Silmarillion at a flea market and absolutely loved it, in spite of its difficult wordings.

Has your love of Middle-earth affected your life?

Besides obnoxiously quoting the books at random points, it's truly affected a lot of the way I think. On probably a weekly basis, I find myself pondering whether one person can change the course of history, the nature of power and duty, whether I have the courage that the characters have in the books (and drawing on them for inspiration), or any other number of Tolkien's concepts. 

If you had to take the One Ring to Mordor, which character would you choose for your sole companion?


Not to be cliche, but probably Samwise. He's the supportive friend we all need and he's already proven that he can resist the temptation of the Ring. Faramir ranks as a close second choice, as he's one of my favorite book characters.

Which is scarier, Shelob or the Balrog?


Shelob. Giant spiders and I don't get along. This is why I will likely never willingly live in Australia.

Which two towers do you think Tolkien was referring to in the title The Two Towers?  (i.e. Orthanc, Barad-dûr, Cirith Ungol, Minas Morgul, or Minas Tirith)


Ooh, a question I had never considered. I think Orthanc and Barad-dur, not only because that's the two I had always assumed, but also because The Two Towers focuses rather centrally on Saruman and Sauron's alliance. If The Return of the King had been named The Two Towers, I might have considered Minas Morgul/Barad-dur and Minas Tirith.

Whose wardrobe would you like to have?

Aslan's!-Wait, wrong author. And wrong type of wardrobe.


Eowyn, I think. I really admire her/empathize with her as a character. She also has a variety of outfits suitable for more formal occasions or riding off to fight the Orcs, so points for versatility.

What do you think an Ent Draught would taste like?


I guess rather planty? As long as it's not like the kale smoothie I had an encounter with a while back. In that case, I'd never grow taller because I wouldn't be able to finish it!

Where in Middle-earth would you like to live?


Rohan. I am growing to like horses. Furthermore, it seems to be a very down-to-Earth sort of place with honest people.

Do you have any Tolkien-related opinions that surprise other people?


Not that I can think of. I think my opinion of him as one of the greatest fantasy authors of all time doesn't come as a surprise to anyone who has read my blog or talked to me for very long.

List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotations from the books or movies.

(I decided to challenge myself a little bit and not repeat any of the ones that I listed last year.)

-Frodo: "What course must I take?" Gandalf: "Towards danger, but not too rashly, nor too straight."

-"Books ought to have good endings." (Frodo)

-"The only just literary critic is Christ, who admires more than does any man the gifts He Himself has bestowed."

-"Shadow lies on me still. Look not to me for healing! I am a shieldmaiden and my hand is ungentle." (Eowyn).

-"N-nothing important. That is, I heard a great deal about a ring, and a Dark Lord and something about the end of the world..." (Sam)

-"But if we stayed home and did nothing, doom would find us anyway, sooner or later." (Treebeard)

9 comments:

  1. Awesome answers! I love your quotes :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the quotation about Christ from? I'd not encountered it before, but it's fascinating.

    Glad you remembered the party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on Goodreads, attributed to Tolkien. Apparently it comes from one of his letters. Not quite Middle-Earth, but I liked it too much to not use it. Thanks for hosting the party again this year!

      Delete
    2. Aha! Thanks -- I will have to seek it out there.

      You're welcome!

      Delete
  3. Never move to Australia :O?? What?

    And I agree, Shelob is way scarier than the Balrog. To be honest, I'd be sent running scared from either of them but spiders are scary. And yes, I love drawing inspiration from fictional characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many big spiders! However, I wouldn't rule out a visit ;).

      Delete
  4. You know a story is well-written when it has you thinking about deep concepts like that throughout the day!

    Yeah, I have to agree on Shelob vs. Balrog. I /cannot/ do giant spiders. Or small ones. Or any spiders at all, really.

    Samwise is wonderful <3 And haha, same on answering Aslan's to the wardrobe question. :p


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love stories that make me think and reflect. It's one of the reasons I find myself nearly continually turning to The Lord of the Rings.

      My roommate and I have a spider killing duty arrangement where we take turns killing spiders that have invaded our apartment. There is generally a lot of shrieking and shoe-throwing involved.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!