Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The 2016 Tolkien Tag

I'm a week late on this one, but, in my defense, I was sick last week. Not quite Frodo post-Shelob-bite sick, but pretty close. You can check out the fun festivities from Hamlette over at The Edge of the Precipice. 

1.How many books by J.R.R. Tolkien have you read?

Eight, if you count The Lord of  the Rings as three books. I have also read most of The Hobbit in Spanish.

2. Have you seen any movies based on them?

I've practically worn out my copies of the extended edition of The Lord of the Rings. I've also seen the new Hobbit movies...for better or for worse. I also watched an indie film called "Born of Hope" that chronicled the early life of Aragorn.

3. Are there any scenes/moments that make you cry?

I still get a little teary at the end of The Return of the King when the ringbearers sail off. Also, it isn't uncommon to see me sniff a little at the death of Boromir.

4. Are there any scenes/moments that make you laugh?

I absolutely love the scene from The Hobbit where Gandalf and Bilbo first meet. I was laughing out loud when I read it in my Spanish edition.

5. Have you ever chosen a Middle Earth name for yourself? If so, what is it?

Yes--Tithen. It's the first half of the elvish version of my first name. (Sindarin, I think? It's been a long time since I've looked it up).

6. Who would you want to party with/marry/fight to the death? (pick three characters)

Party with: Merry and Pippin. I would love to see them dancing on the tables and singing about the Green Dragon Inn.

Marry: While my favorite Tolkien story is "Of Beren and Luthien", I feel like Faramir and I might make a good match. He has great morals and is reputed to love books. I also tend to associate with Eowyn quite a bit. 

Fight to the death: Someone I could pick off somewhat easily with my bow, because I haven't had time to hone my sword skills to anything respectable. (And my bow skills are nowhere near as good as Legolas', so it would have to be someone I could pick off from a considerable distance).

7. When was the last time you visited Middle Earth, via books or movies?

Sadly, it's probably been since June. I've had a Middle Earth itch of late, so I'll probably either introduce my roommate to the movies or else drag one of my books along with me for a while. Fall is a good time for poetry, so I might dig up my copy of The Lays of Beleriand. 

8. Do you consider Gollum to be a villain? Why or why not?

This is a difficult question. He's a villain in the sense that he's certainly far from honorable and serves as an antagonist through much of the story. However, he's not truly villainous in many aspects. I don't believe that he truly seeks to cause others harm; he's just obsessed with the Ring. I would have to think on that question for a while longer.

9. How would you sum up what Tolkien's stories mean to you in one word?

Courage.

10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." 

"All that is gold does not glitter." 

"Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." 

"I will not say 'do not weep', for not all tears are evil." 

"Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised." 

"The women of this country learned long ago that those without swords can still die upon them." 

"But I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend..."

And far too many more to list...

What are some of your favorite Tolkien quotes or books? 

Feel free to steal this tag!

2 comments:

  1. This tag is awesome! (And I also learned that there are more than five books to the LOTR universe...) I just LOVE the dialogue between Bilbo and Gandalf in The Hobbit. It's just beyond perfect.

    If I was going to fight someone, I'd kinda say that I'd want to fight an unarmed hobbit because I'm pretty sure I could just step on them and it'd be over. Then again, they can get pretty feisty sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the books were published posthumously and are in various stages of completion. The ones I've read are LotR (3), The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin (which I'm not sure counts, since the story also takes place in the Silmarillion), and The Lays of Beleriand.

      Watch out for those unarmed Hobbits! I hear they're pretty good with frying pans, which could potentially pass through security ;)

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!