Friday, September 11, 2015

Sequel Review: "The Hero's Lot"

This week I'm reviewing The Hero's Lot, sequel to A Cast of Stones. I would highly recommend reading the excellent first book before continuing. Come back next week for a fresh series/book!

The Short:

The Hero’s Lot
(The Staff and the Sword, Book 2)

By: Patrick W. Carr

5/5 Stars (And going on the favorites shelf)

What: Errol is put under compulsion by the church to kill Valon or die trying. He is rejoined by familiar characters from the previous book

Recommended to those who like: Sword fights, fantasy, Christian fiction, (and have read book one)

The Long:

If you haven’t read book one, don’t continue! This review may ruin the first book for you!

Wow. I really just cannot say enough about these books! The writing is excellent, the plots are gripping, and the characters are loveable and believable. I purchased book three right away, even though I probably should’ve waited.

Errol continues to be the main focus of our travels, though we also spend a significant amount of time with Martin. His character is still deeply flawed and complex, but he’s loveable. Relatable. Human.  He’s definitely one of my favorite characters.

Put under compulsion by the church, Errol must travel south to Merakh and kill Valon or die in the attempt (and certain authorities wouldn't mind the latter in the least). He enlists the help of familiar friends, as well as new ones. Their trip is fraught with danger, lots of sword fights, and the ongoing political and religious struggles for power that were hinted at in the previous book.

There’s a great plot twist/ reveal in the middle of the book that really ups the stakes and the action. I wish I could talk about it more, but you’ll just have to read the book to find out what it is!

Again, I can’t get over these books. This is some of the best writing that I’ve read in a long time—it sucks me right into the story. Mr. Carr is a master of his craft and I look forward to reading more of his books in the near future.

If you’ve read the book, feel free to share your thoughts below. Please remember to be respectful of Mr. Carr and his work, as well as other commentators. I also welcome comments on what you would like to see included in the reviews. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I reserve the right to remove vulgar, hateful, or rude remarks from the comments. Thanks for sharing!